1.09.2010

30 Meals In One Day

We did an experiment today. Thankfully I have an AMAZING hubby who will help me with my random project, and thankfully I have great in-laws who will support and help us :)

This is a program/book called "30 Meal in One day". It's fabulous. I ended up buying both the CD software and the book. The book helps you with insider tips, and with first timers.
Another one of my New Year's Resolutions was cooking more for Micah. Since I work until 5 Monday-Friday I rarely get to have dinner ready for Micah, so this is an experiment to see if it will be worth it to do it again next month.

Seriously, great in-laws like Gaye and David is what every marriage needs!! I mean who would let you come over and turn there nice and neat home into this:

Even the messy Micah-man couldn't believe it!

So...I did help cook, but I was definitely not photogenic today. And I was stuck on clean up duty in between recipes. Here's Micah putting together the manicotti recipe.

Here's some of our finished recipes! Yeah!


We started at 11:3o a.m. and we completed 28 meals before 6 p.m. Wasn't even all that hard! Much easier than cooking each meal by itself on the day you eat it, not to mention the motivation to think of a recipe, go get the ingredients for that single meal, and cook it.
Here's some of the meals we have: Cheese Manicotti, BBQ beef and Biscuits, Brown Sugar Pork Ribs, Chicken Tortillini Soup, Simply Lasagna, Tuna Bowtie Pasta, Navajo Tacos, Mexican Lasagna, Cream Cheese Chicken, Oven Stew, Meat Loaf and Potatoes, Chicken Tortilla (with peas...oops).
We finished cleaning the kitchen and washing all the dishes at 6:50 p.m. and even Micah's mom was impressed as she has dealt with Micah's experiments! I'm a pretty good influence on him...if I do say so myself ;)

Et Voila!! Freezer full of 28 meals and ready to heat, eat, and go! Hardest problem is going to be letting Micah only eat one a day! Because they all taste so good, yes we sampled them all.


Oh and our budget: Book and CD: $39, groceries $78- but we did have help with Platt Food Pantry, so we guess that it would have cost us $150 if we couldn't shop in their food storage. Average cost of each meal, even with the CD and Book = $6.75 with atleast 2 servings per meal, some with up to 6 servings.
Pretty fun project. We'll let you know if this will be a re-occuring activity ;) Oh by the way, we are sick of chopping onions and cooking! So we ate fast food tonight!
One more post below...if interested!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

ren said...

Such a great idea! Seriously! You're such a good wife to do all of this! I bet Micah is loving all the yummy home cooked food...Nick would love it. The recipes sound really good too! I just might have to buy that book!

Rebecca said...

That's a really good idea! And the meals sound really tasty!! Looks like you're off to a great start to you new year's goal. Enjoy all the good cookin'! :)

K S & R said...

I'm so impressed! I've heard of doing this... but never been die hard enough to do it. Sounds like great stuff you guys did!! Any tips on what's good to make and freeze, and how to get started? ;)

Julianne Howes said...

That is a really good idea!! I think i'm going to try it! We waste so much money on random shopping trips and eating out... so this sounds like our cup o' tea!!!! Thanks for the tips!!!