1.12.2010

cutting costs

Of course one our New Year's Resolutions this year was to pay off debts and save some $$$. So after some long discussions and sit down family budgeting we have come to the conclusion that we will move (sad face) to an apartment, and become a one car family (happy face).

We love love love where we're living right now, I love the open feeling, the storage, the attached garage, the neighbors that mind their own business, and ahhh...the kitchen :)

But I don't love the commute I have for work. I leave at 10:20 a.m. to get to work by 11:00, and that's a risk because I either hit all green (yeah! early to work) or all red (boo! cutting it close to being late for work). Then there's the additional gas money (yuck), HOA (again yuck), and the thermostat that is just retarded.

We knew when we were moving in this past Fall that it was a luxury, a luxury that we were ok with. We also didn't know where I was going to end up working, so couldn't plan distances between both our jobs. But after much family budgeting meetings (and I mean ALOT) we were looking at how much we were paying for something we didn't own, and how much we could be saving!!

Now I'm not totally excited about living in an apartment again...actually I'm still trying to wrap my head around this. Our very first place as a couple was an apartment and we had issues...mold to be exact. Then there was the walk up the flight of the stairs. But after looking at the numbers I have to set my feelings aside!! (I keep telling myself ha ha) and face the fact that we are still just starting out, and saving more money is definitely worth it!

Plus we will be a one car family, meaning a newer Nissan Altima maybe?! Ha ha just kidding! Our focus is on where we'll be living first!

2 comments:

Brit said...

good luck on the move! Let us know how we can help.

Julianne Howes said...

Good job!! It feels so good to save a little bit of money here and there. I wish we could have a house, but it will be a few years until we are back in Utah and can even look... but how I try to look at it, is someday (not sure when lol) we will all look back and miss our little apartments and the memories from the first years!! So good for you guys! Love ya!