9.13.2010

School is Funny

"Back to School, Back to School..." -Billy Madison

I always wondered why we take math somedays. The only person I know who uses geometry for their job is my dad. But I haven't come across a person who needs the quadratic formula, or period of a pendulum yet.

But here I sit studying for the test on Wednesday, filling my brain with useless formulas, tricks, and steps to get through my Business Calculus class. The problem is the last math class that I actually did was Math 1050 my senior year of high school. Great.

So let's see if you guys can remember some basic algebra!

Simplify.

1. 6y²(2y³)²


2. 2x²(x³)


Solutions:
1. 24y^8

2. 2x^5

Remember that when you have a common term "x" that you add the exponents, not multiply them.

Factor:

1. x² - 5x + 6

2. x² - x - 20

Solutions:

1. (x - 3)(x - 2)

2. (x + 4)(x - 5)

Remember how you look at the last number, think to yourself what 2 numbers can multiply to that, and add to equal the middle number?

So that's pretty much what I'm going through with basic algebra. Well atleast TRYING to remember it all, but in my case I'm re-learning everything all over again. Bummer.

Atleast my other 2 classes are really easy going. I don't have to go to any testing centers for those, and I can work ahead on my management class (woo hoo!) Then when next semester rolls around I can do full-term of school! I have been part-time for the last couple years - and it's been dragging on. But I can finally just knock all the classes out with Spring semester and Summer semester.

Yeah, yeah, yeah all you mom's right now are thinking "You'll never have time now that you'll have a baby" But the thing is I have a husband who gets off of work at 4:30 (Night classes are 5:30 and on) and is determined to have me graduate, even if it means pushing me out the door while he's holding Isla in one hand and a bottle in the other, staying up late to help with homework (oh wait...he already does that...) nagging me if I did my homework, driving me to the testing centers, and proof reads all my papers.

So it's really like Micah didn't graduate just yet. He wants to make sure that his name is on my diploma as well, right beneath mine in tiny little writing. Which I'm fine with, he's pretty much taken all my classes that I'm going through right now. I'll get all the help I can!

On another note, Micah left this morning to Michigan. Should I be nervous that he will be teaching at a CSR (Customer Service Representative) Convention that has about 500+ women - compared to 10 men - for 3 whole days?!

Nah...those women have nothing on me and baby Isla!! ha ha!

3 comments:

Kristin and Dan said...

Okay so those math problems made my head spin! I did all my college math classes in high school so I haven't seen things like that in 6 years! And wow, it shows! I don't remember anything!!! Good luck!

Rebecca said...

Yeah I don't remember any of that stuff...and I thought I was good at math! lol. My mom always told me that college mostly just teaches you how to think. I think that's definitely true. 90% of what I learned in college I probably won't ever use. Sheesh. I paid 40K just to have a piece of paper and to know how to think! Ridiculous. :) And don't let people tell you that you can't finish. My sister finished her college degree after she had a baby. You can do anything you put your mind to!

Shannon said...

You can do it. I finished and I had a baby and moved to two different states all in one of my hardest semesters. It wasn't easy and for a little while rght after he was born I didn't really give a crap about school but you will get over that and do great. Plus, it does help to have a helpful husband.