4.25.2011

My Grandpa

*me and my grandpa jensen*

Raymond Dorian Jensen


April 24, 1934 -June 26, 2006


He was born very premature. The doctor didn't even put a birthweight on the birth certificate, told Great Grandma Lucille that "He wasn't more than a bar of soap after a hard days' work." He was too little for diapers, so she wrapped him up in cotton and put him on the oven door to stay warm. "It's a wonder he ever made it." Great Grandma Lucille would always say.



He grew up with an outhouse, a coal stove, an not much toys. "It's not like today with those them Lego's and Barbies."

He didn't get baptized until he was almost 9. His Grandma Jensen and him took the UIC electric car and went to the Logan temple and got baptized in the pretty font that had the golden ox around it. Not long after that they started baptisms in the wards.


He served in the Korean War . He met his wife, Afton Johnson, at a dance in 1957. Three dates later they eloped. Grandma Afton's mom said it would never last.


They had eight children - Kenneth (my daddyo), Karla, Vernetta, Stephen, Ron, Dorian, Katrina and Jennifer.


He had gone two rounds with chemo. But decided in June 2006 that he was tired and wanted to go home with his wife. He passed away holding my Grandma's hand and all his children standing around him. It was bittersweet for all of them.


I always watch a video my Aunt Jen had made with my Grandma Raymond about a year before he passed away from Malignant Melanoma (skin cancer). It's surreal to watch him because it seems like he hasn't gone anywhere. Still in his overalls, sitting in his seat, and saying "Hey Tawns. How ya' doing?" whenever I walked in the front room.


Micah never got to meet him. But loves whenever someone talks about him - especially my Grandma Afton. She's still healthy as a horse and loves every year when her birthday comes around because she's that much closer to being with Raymond again. She welcomes every age spot, wrinkle, backpain, and forgetfullness. They loved each other very much.




It was a special Easter because we got to remember what a great guy my Grandpa Raymond was - and how much love is in that family.

No comments: